Page 17 of 18 pages ‹ First < 15 16 17 18 >
The Deadline for nominations is September 9, 2011 at 5pm.
In the final day of racing at the Sperry Top-Sider/ICSA Women’s National Championship for the Gerald C. Miller Memorial Trophy, the women arrived and waited for wind until around 2 p.m. The delay on shore caused everyone to question whether any more races would be sailed today. It was cool and cloudy with rain on and off, but finally some breeze began to come down the river at about 2-7 knots from a westerly direction. A-division was able to fit in two races before the 5 p.m. racing cut off, but B-division only sailed one race, therefore only one race in each division counted today on Windward/Leeward courses.
Today’s racing began with the final races for the First Round Women’s teams, who were competing to make it in the top nine to move on to race in the Final Round of the Sperry Top-Sider / ICSA Women’s National Championships. The conditions this morning were more pleasant than yesterday with lighter winds ranging between 14-17 mph and more sun shine with temperatures in the low to mid 60s. It was a westerly breeze and although the wind was more manageable, it made the current more challenging, the women had to work harder to fight its strength on the downwind legs. The women sailed Windward/Leeward four or five courses and were able to complete the event with both A-division and B-division finishing two races making the required event total of eight races.
The first day of racing for the First Round Women’s teams competing to make it into the Final Round for the Sperry Top-Sider/ICSA Women’s National Championships taking place in Cascade Locks, Oregon. Leading the fleet are Yale University, Brown University and the University of Rhode Island. Read further for a re-cap of the day.
The teams have been finalized and the 2011 Intercollegiate Sailing Association’s National Championships will begin next week and continue for nine days including three regattas.
NWICSA and CGRA are set to host the 2011 College Sailing Nationals in less than three weeks! Planning and preparation is well underway for the three title events. The gorge is beginning to heat up and the famous west winds are starting to build. Racing runs from May 23rd to June 1st in Cascade Locks, OR – 45min east of Portland.
It was another warm sunny day for the sailors at Belmont Veterans Memorial Pier at the U.S. Sailing Center in Long Beach, CA with temperatures in the high 70s. The close racing continued and challenged sailors as the day began with the Southern California Santa Ana winds fighting the sea breeze. This resulted in some shocking puffs and fleet inversions where one part of the fleet was sailing upwind while the other part was sailing downwind. The race committee had to abandon several races due to the conditions and eventually posted a postponement until the sea breeze filled in and the wind direction settled so racing could resume.